Sunday, December 5, 2010

Blogism



What makes a good blog? What makes a readable blog? What makes a popular blog? Are the three the same thing?


I think not. When I read the blogs of others, some of the most futile, contentless and poorly written are streaming with visitors and followers. Some really thought-provoking ones (on niche subjects or not) are barely viewed. Sometimes the thoughtful ones are also overflowing with visitors and comments, sometimes not.  There are loads of tips around the internet on how to increase traffic. I've tried some of them and not only do they not really work, I have to ask myself if I want more traffic around me. I would rather have a few devoted followers who like what I have to say. At one stage I even decided that my blog was just for me; a regular record of my thoughts on things. I made the settings private for a while. I've opened it up to all of sundry again. But all of sundry is not really listening.


Why do I want people to read my blog? Do I think people can learn something necessary and unique from it? Or perhaps they'll just relate to something in it and feel reassured. Is it narcissism? A craving for fame? A general fear of death finding me before I've left a mark somewhere on the earth's surface? I'm not sure whether it's a little of all these things. It definitely makes me feel better that others are doing it too. Not just bloggers but artists, actors, musicians, scientists. They're putting their oeuvres out there with the hope that they'll hatch into something bigger and further reaching. Have we all got something unique to say to the world? Well, maybe not the whole world as it's quite a big place but there's bound to be spaces somewhere where our words will fit. 

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."



— Dr. Seuss  




1 comment:

London Korean Links said...

"When I read the blogs of others, some of the most futile, contentless and poorly written are streaming with visitors and followers."

Yup, I'm definitely with you there.

Usually my feeblest posts get the most traffic (just put up a celebrity picture and anyone will visit), while the posts I sweat over for hours get no visitors at all.

Followers