Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Scanner Daily: 9

ceramic morph bookend, scanned

Today I wrote, swam, played with my niece then went for a slap-up meal (whatever that means) and drinks which were free because my friend was writing an advertorial for the place. It is called Electrik and it's in Chorlton. We decided that the decor was half seventies, half alpine hut bar. There was lots of wood laminate which almost looked like wood but appeared a bit more like Formica. They had those tall lamps with the light shades covered in some sort of woven, sack-like material which looks like the fabric they used to make pin boards out of. My friend found it comforting because it reminded her of visiting her grandparent's house as a child. The place hints at nostalgia but doesn't rub it in your face. The food reminded me of the potato, meat and gravyish meals my mum used to give me as a child. As soon as I discovered pasta and tomatoes I pretty much switched my daily staple cuisine from English to Italian. Today I compromised and chose a tomato crumble from the menu. It was tasty and it seemed to have all of my five a day in it. Anyhow, I'm not going to write an advertorial.

I chose morph because of the nostalgia thing, although he's more eighties than seventies. You have to ask yourself, when you visit these retro clad bars, to whose nostalgia is it appealing? A generation who were kids in the seventies and eighties. So that's the whipper snappers whom I teach at university out then. But I guess that our nostalgia became their retro and now their retro is also their nostalgia, so it's doubly nostalgic. Is it post post-modern?

Morph didn't scan well because he's a very 3D object so the scanner's lid wouldn't go down past him and the glass pane which captures the image only got his surface points clearly - his hands. The rest of his body looks dark and hazy and out of reach like if it had been caught on camera, it would have been at dusk, without a flash and with an inappropriately fast shutter speed. His body appears to morph into the lid on top of him. If the lid represents time closing in on us, morph could represent ourselves in the present, whilst the scanner is our memories, capturing our blur of existence. This is a bullshit metaphor.

No comments:

Followers