Saturday, June 5, 2010
2000 words and a hangover (and a game of pool)
Last night, aged 32, blurry from a concoction of summer drinks and shortly before the Heavy Metaller pub we were drinking in at two in the morning chucked us out, I learnt to play pool. It was kind of GESTALT! Of course, I have tried before, many times, to get the ball in the hole but perhaps I haven't tried since before I began my PhD. Maybe my brain really has expanded in terms of some logic cogs clicking into place. I was never very good at logic, more lateral I think. And I wasn't hot at trigonometry. But now I get it. The white ball has to hit the coloured ball at the same point of contact where you would hit it if you had the luxury of no white ball. It doesn't matter what direction the force comes from, as long as it puts pressure on it at that point- the most trigonometrically viable. So now I imagine I'm hitting it face on, from the ideal position, then I remember the spot on the ball and aim for that but from the imperfect position. I guess it's how I go at anything in life these days. The older I get, the further I am away from the Ideal position to achieve something. I have the same goals but I have to be more creative in the way I reach them. Either that, or I break the rules. Or I forget about the goals and just enjoy the game. Oh, the joys of using a game of pool for its semiological scope.
I had better go to bed though. It's been a long and fruitless 2000 words and a hellova hangover. But it was worth it.
- ► 2011 (29)
- coming soon...
- Finishing the novel
- 50,000 words in
- On transcribing Damien Hirst
- Looking for a consiousness
- 7 more random things about me
- Keeping up the narrative
- The Versatile Blogger Award
- Last paragraph written
- Looking for luck
- Poem for a Korean magazine on the subject of happi...
- The Answer Thing Part 2 (because it wouldn't let m...
- The Answer Thing part 1
- I'm trying to make trying allowed: an anti-academi...
- Korea, London and London Korean links
- Novel versus Thesis
- A schtyk-ler for surname meanings
- Seeing Erica: Review of Being Erica, seasons one a...
- A student once asked me ...
- days away from writing 2
- days away from writing
- 2000 words and a hangover (and a game of pool)
- cake or haribo?
- Nearly half
- Jobseeking and Sobjerking
- Synopsis: The Gaps Between the Branches
- 100 pages in, how many out?
- Sign the petition for an independent investigation...
- spot the oblong
- Beyond the third
- ▼ June (31)